Built circa 1870 and located at 762 Martin Street in the Southwest Center City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, this three-story, Italianate brick house was the home of African-American vocal great, civil rights activist and philanthropist, Marian Anderson, (February 27, 1897 – April 8, 1993). The home was extensively renovated around 1940 and these updates included creating a studio as well as converting her basement to an area to entertain guests. In 2011, the home was designated for placement on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior; it has also been honored as a historical landmark by the State of Pennsylvania.
Visitors to the National Marian Anderson Museum will learn much about the life of Anderson. An amazing contralto, she utilized her fierce determination, bravery, strength and grace to transcend racial barriers. Anderson felt her love for God and her family were her foundation. This structure was purchased with funds gifted by Marian to her mother, Annie, in 1924. The house provided a base for the Anderson family and was the permanent residence of Marian during this period. While living here, she performed domestically and internationally and several accomplishments of hr illustrious career occurred. These included performing for monarchs in Europe, presidents at the White House and the masses on the steps of Lincoln Memorial.