Founded by Dr. Lyn Hughes in 1995, the National A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum (NAPRPPM) is located in the Historic Pullman District in Chicago, Illinois. The museum is named in honor of Asa Philip Randolph and the Pullman Porters, Black men who comprised the membership of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters (BSCP) labor union.
The building in which the museum is housed is an original rowhouse that was one of many constructed by George Pullman. Pullman had these homes built in order to rent to the White workers of his railroad car company, The Pullman Car Company. This “community” was not created solely from Pullman’s beneficence, but also to recoup some of the monies paid to his workers. Because the National A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum is housed in this rowhouse, it is part of Pullman National Historic Landmark District of the U.S. Department of the Interior. The museum holds a collection of primary documents, videos, books and artifacts. However, the NAPRPPM also has been developing a national registry of Black employees who worked for the Pullman Company from 1863, during the Civil War, to 1969, after the Civil Rights Movement.