Located at 659 14th Street in Oakland, California, the African American Museum & Library at Oakland (AAMLO) is both a reference library and museum that includes a non-circulating collection exclusive solely for institutional use. It, according to its website, is “dedicated to the discovery, preservation, interpretation and sharing of historical and cultural experiences of African Americans in California and the West for present and future generations.”
The AAMLO originally was a private collection first curated by Eugene and Ruth Lasartemay and Jesse and Dr. Marcella Ford in 1946. They collected artifacts, ephemera and oral histories of African Americans in Oakland, around the Bay area and throughout California. In 1965, their organization became known as the East Bay Negro Historical Society. As the collection grew, it needed a larger space and in 1970, the EBNHS moved into a storefront at 3651 Grove Street.